Baking Soda - Old Fashioned Cure-all, Use-all
Antacid:
Recently it was brought to my attention that Rolaids are made of chalk, baking soda, calcium and flavoring (in my case, peppermint).
I have found Rolaids to be most helpful when I have heartburn or a sudden case of acid reflux in the middle of the night.
Toothpaste:
In my home there is baking soda and peroxide toothpaste.
This reminds me of my mom sprinkling baking soda into my hand when I was a child. She told me to dampen my toothbrush at the sink and use the resulting paste on my hand to brush my teeth.
I have been noticing more about the use of baking soda for other things!
Hair and Skin Care:
"Baking Soda, alias sodium bicarbonate, is a naturally occurring substance that is found in all living things, where it helps regulate their pH balance. ..."
(I remember I used to buy a face wash product in a green bottle that was for that!)
"It's time to use hair care that's health care. Your scalp is very porous and can easily absorb harmful chemicals. Many commercial hair products, from hair dye to shampoos and sprays, are full of coal-tar dyes, ammonia, formaldehyde, plastic resins, and artificial fragrance that can cause serious health threats, everything from skin irritation to cancer or blindness. Natural alternatives to these chemicals are widely available in health food stores. To shampoo, rub baking soda into your scalp and rinse - it does a better job than commercial shampoo, which can leave chemical residues on your hair and scalp."
- Dr. Maoshing Ni [Dr. Mao's Secrets of Longevity/Green Your Morning Routine/Healthy Hair Care]
Healthcare:
• Old way:
Cranberry juice—in theory—acidifies your urine and flushes out bacteria in your bladder. But cranberry juice with sugar added just encourages bacterial growth. Plus, most women need a more alkaline diet, as you will see in a minute.
• New Woman-Wise way:
One quarter of a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (yes—the yellow box in your refrigerator!) works much better than cranberry juice for most women. Try it!
Additional Readings:
Sodium bicarbonate (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Green living tips: Baking soda - 30 handy tips
THE MAGIC OF ARM & HAMMER® BAKING SODA
27 Ways to Clean with Baking Soda
Recently it was brought to my attention that Rolaids are made of chalk, baking soda, calcium and flavoring (in my case, peppermint).
I have found Rolaids to be most helpful when I have heartburn or a sudden case of acid reflux in the middle of the night.
Toothpaste:
In my home there is baking soda and peroxide toothpaste.
This reminds me of my mom sprinkling baking soda into my hand when I was a child. She told me to dampen my toothbrush at the sink and use the resulting paste on my hand to brush my teeth.
I have been noticing more about the use of baking soda for other things!
Hair and Skin Care:
"Baking Soda, alias sodium bicarbonate, is a naturally occurring substance that is found in all living things, where it helps regulate their pH balance. ..."
(I remember I used to buy a face wash product in a green bottle that was for that!)
"It's time to use hair care that's health care. Your scalp is very porous and can easily absorb harmful chemicals. Many commercial hair products, from hair dye to shampoos and sprays, are full of coal-tar dyes, ammonia, formaldehyde, plastic resins, and artificial fragrance that can cause serious health threats, everything from skin irritation to cancer or blindness. Natural alternatives to these chemicals are widely available in health food stores. To shampoo, rub baking soda into your scalp and rinse - it does a better job than commercial shampoo, which can leave chemical residues on your hair and scalp."
- Dr. Maoshing Ni [Dr. Mao's Secrets of Longevity/Green Your Morning Routine/Healthy Hair Care]
Healthcare:
• Old way:
Cranberry juice—in theory—acidifies your urine and flushes out bacteria in your bladder. But cranberry juice with sugar added just encourages bacterial growth. Plus, most women need a more alkaline diet, as you will see in a minute.
• New Woman-Wise way:
One quarter of a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (yes—the yellow box in your refrigerator!) works much better than cranberry juice for most women. Try it!
Additional Readings:
Sodium bicarbonate (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Green living tips: Baking soda - 30 handy tips
THE MAGIC OF ARM & HAMMER® BAKING SODA
27 Ways to Clean with Baking Soda
Comments