VGT Omnivore's 100 List

Found this on another blog and thought it would be fun for everyone.
Better than me spamming you at least, eh?
Here's the rules:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea - never had it
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue - I miss my lil fondue pot from the 70s!
8. Carp
9. Borscht - Yes, a Polish guy taught me how to make it, it's delicious!
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari - but I don't care for eating grissle!
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich - and I don't like them
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries -from the mulberry tree in my backyard and blackberry bushes all around!
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn or head cheese - my dad used to make it or buy it
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters - I prefer clams, shrimp or scallops. Oysters have the texture of chicken livers, which I can't stand!
29. Baklava - if that's the very sweet European fudge-like stuff, I 've had it and like it!
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas - no, but I love wasabi!
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar- eww!
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail - no, but I've had cow's tongue, about the leanest, most tender roast ever!
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - at a Krispy Kreme shop
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - way too big to eat
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs - my dad used to catch frogs and have my mom cook them!
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain - no, but I'd like to try it some time!
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - another thing my dad would cook or buy!
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini - too salty and weird for my liking
73. Louche absinthe - might kill me but I'm game!
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail - I'll pass, thanks
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum - sounds like something with cat
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three Michelin star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate - ooo!
91. Spam - not too bad if it's sliced very thin and panbroiled
92. Soft shell crab - not sure
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor - not sure
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

Comments

Cymry said…
OK, spill the beans -- what are frogs legs, head cheese and goat's milk like??? I like soy milk; is goat's milk anything like that? When Don and I were at the Montrose wine festival, there was a goat farmer there offering goat's milk cheese. He sends the milk from his goats to a local cheese maker, they have some sort of deal worked out.
Ima Peccable said…
Frogs legs and head cheese I had when I was a kid, but will try to remember what they were like.
Goat's milk I tasted just once and it seemed like skim milk because it wasn't as rich as cow's milk, but that was also awhile back. You may have to try those things for yourself.
Frogs legs were kinda chewy but tasted similar to chicken. My mom would batter dip or coat them with egg and cornmeal before panfrying them.
Head cheese was interesting. Imagine a gelatin base with many bits of lean seasoned scrap meat in it, with thin surrounding border of fatty gel. It looks interesting when sliced for sandwiches. I vaguely remember the flavor was agreeable.

My dad had worked in a butcher shop so he was familiar with making use of a whole hog. I recall him preparing many things in our kitchen when I was a preteen and teen. He had a grinder and slicer, made sausage and various cuts to freeze for cooking later on. He even made chitterlings (pronounced chit'lins). He also would make spicy homemade chili or pizza on weekends (maybe to give my mom a break and because he enjoyed it. He was a good cook!
Cymry said…
I was at a grocery the other day with Don trying to work out whether chitterlings and chit'lins were the same thing LOL
Unknown said…
Posted my list on MySpace. I love fried frog legs, had them at a Mongolian Barbecue place (are frogs Mongolian? I don't know... but it was also in Southern Illinois). I didn't think they were chewy at all though... maybe younger frogs?
Ima Peccable said…
I'll look at your list soon, thanks for posting it in myspace!
I imagine Mongolia could have frogs in their vast area, but you could google or wikipedia the info, lol!
Your dad and I hunted for a restaurant in Centralia and found a Mongolian buffet, which was similar to the Chinese buffets in the area.
Is that the same place you mentioned or is there a different one we haven't had the chance to visit yet?
Unknown said…
The Mongolian Barbecue we went to was in the Marion mall. We went there with Nichell and Robbie, and they had a lot of interesting items we'd never seen at a Chinese buffet. Good sushi, little custards and buns that were great, and you pick out whatever meat, veggies, and noodles you'd like and they fry them up for you at a buffet.

Popular posts from this blog

Towing Irony - 5 Misadventures In One!

Unimportant Appointments (A poem or a song, written by me)