Unimportant Appointments (A poem or a song, written by me)

I'm a no-one
In a nowhere town
Sitting with my book
And my gas station coffee
On a gazebo step
At the library park.

The cars and trucks whiz by
They don't see me
Even if they did
Even if they know me
They don't care.

They're too busy
Racing to nowhere
To get to their
Unimportant appointments
With everyone
Who doesn't really matter.

The sky is gorgeous
The rain clouds moved on
The trees grew their shade
For us to sit in
To rush through
To drink our coffee
And read our books
And race our vehicles
To nowhere in a rush
For our unimportant appointments.

The church bells toll
To remind us of the time
They echo heartbreakingly
Beautiful notes
Chiming the time for us
For anyone who cares to listen.

Are you paying attention
Do you even care
Or are you busy rushing
Whizzing by
Do you hear
Do you see
Do you care?

*I was told this song reminds someone of
the song by Simon & Garfunkel - Homeward Bound

Comments

Kathy G said…
Thought-provoking poem. Fact or fiction?

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment today.
Ima Peccable said…
I wrote this while waiting in town during someone's hair appointment...so you could call it fact, I suppose.

Popular posts from this blog

Towing Irony - 5 Misadventures In One!

VGT Omnivore's 100 List