Are You Tuned In?
Like I promised, I'd cover past subjects.
Ready? Taking it from the top!
Ready? Taking it from the top!
- Brian's Job Change - He tried for 2 weeks to do what was asked of him at work. He was able to stay in the plant because he had been working on the plant side when he first started there. He later got into an opening in the Dimensional Lab, but because of plant downsizing, he was offered a position elsewhere in the plant recently. Turns out the pay was alot less but the work was much more demanding. It aggrevated his already high blood pressure and hurt his back and a problematic siatic (sp?) nerve. He had to opt for unemployment and so he sent in an application just yesterday. Of course that means our income is drastically reduced so we have to make major changes in how we do things. Also means he's home all the time. [If I didn't have extreme double vision (caused by major astigmatism in my left eye) and could drive again, I'd be out job hunting!]
- Brooke and Jim - Brooke suffered a freak driving accident the year of 9-11 (10/1) and had to have emergency back surgery for a ruptured disk (think of a crushed tuna can). This winter she fell twice at work in Walmart and had to go on temporary leave. She was in lots of pain, finally got a specialist who prescribed strong enough pain meds so she can do things. Before that she had a difficult time coping. During all this, her husband Jim's blood pressure was severly high. Walmart covers her health insurance, but not his because they cut her hours way back. In other words he was unable to afford ER care when he really needed it! I did what little I could for them, went over and helped with cleaning and a few meals until they both were feeling better. The latest I heard, they both have bad colds so I'm not sure of going over there and risking catching it and spreading it here.
- Rick's Living Situation - Rick was living in a volunteer headquarters but unable to land a paying job within the 4 months he stayed there, so he was forced to move out. He was able to find an affordable apartment within Chicago but is still trying to get work or get into college classes. He has certification as an ESL teacher but his papers need updating and his references are oversees in places like Korea and the Philippines. His long term goal is to get his visa updated and go back to Korea to hire ESL instructors. He has a job waiting over there for him, but he has to earn his way back over somehow. He seems to be running into brick walls everywhere.
- Cafe Website - I spent a few days building and polishing a website for a local cafe. The owner was exited about the possibility of having their site back up online and running. I waited to hear from her after she discussed it with the co-owner, then I called and found out that because things are slow there, they not only cut out serving dinners, they also won't need the site until things pick up again. I took my example offline and backed it up for future reference. All that work for nothing, so far. The owner was enthusiastic when she saw what I had put together and said it will be perfect for them, yet they will have to wait to use it.
- J-List Items to Make for SL - On a whim, I got the idea to make things from a site called J-List/JBOX to sell in Second Life. I contacted the owner and got approval to use those ideas and somehow do affiliate linking. Still working out details, but I sincerely hope this pans out. I also have a possible helper with details like stitching and wrinkles to make things nicer for marketing. I understand how to do several things in Photoshop, yet I don't have enough patience or experience to do some of the details yet.
- The previous annoying situation I mentioned happened to be a stray kitten that tried to adopt us. She was too young to be outdoors all the time, yet too problematic to be allowed indoors beyond the laundry room. She must've had worms so I gave her meds for that, yet she still often had diarrhea. She wandered off to my neice's place next door and invited herself in, my neice called and sounded like she really liked her, so I offered to let her keep her. Hopefully she can get the poopy problem under control! The kitten is a real cute grey calico and VERY affectionate! I couldn't keep her because my 2 tom cats were fighting and going crazy over her!
- Turns out we have BIL Ed lined up to help with repairs, so we'll keep Billy in mind for other needs? He seems eager to work so I hope someone will hire him for odd jobs soon!
Comments